Tuesday 3 June 2014

Drugstore Red/Purple Lipsticks

When my new camera arrived this morning, I felt inspired to try something new on my blog as taking photos is so much easier now with the flip out screen, so is perfect for lipstick swatches. I was sorting through my lipsticks earlier today and just randomly swatched some on my hand, and thought it was something I could write about. I thought I would do a mini review/ swatches of 4 of my favourite deeper shade lipsticks from the drugstore, as I at the moment I am obsessed with looking at lipstick swatches online. These lipsticks are all under the £10 mark and are easily available from Superdrug or Boots here in the UK.

L-R: Revlon in 'Black Cherry', Rimmel Apocalips in 'Eclipse', Maxfactor Lipfinity in 'Frivolous', MUA in 'Shade 2'
Firstly: Revlon- Black Cherry

This is the darkest of the bunch; a deep reddy purple colour which makes the perfect vampy lip. It is a creamy formula which is highly pigmented, and gives quite a glossy finish. It is quite moisturising and feels smooth on the lips. However I do feel it is best to exfoliate your lips before applying it, as it can get caught on dry patches. I love this lipstick especially in winter, but also wear it in summer to for evenings out. I think this would suit most skin tones, as I am super pale but still manage to pull it off! 

It looks black in the tube, however when applied to the lips it is not as dark, and comes off a nice dark plum colour.



Maxfactor Lipfinity in Frivolous (108)

This is definatly the longest lasting lipstick in my entire collection. Slightly lighter than Revlon Black Cherry, but still a deep plum shade, which is slightly less purple. This lipstick is unique in that it comes with 2 products- first you apply the liquid lipstick colour neatly to your lips, then wait for it to dry for 60 seconds. Then you apply the glossy lip balm/gloss that also comes with this lipstick. After this, it literally lasts all day. I have worn it for an entire day, through eating, drinking, and found it was still going strong by the end of the day. The only downside to this is it can be very difficult to take off, and you have to be very careful how you apply it, because once it's dried, it is there for good! 


The lipstick dried matte before the gloss balm

After the gloss balm


Rimmel Apocalips in Eclipse

I have a few colours from the Apocalips line, and I really love them all. They are very moisturising and glossy as they are a liquid lipstick- a cross between a gloss and a lipstick. This colour 'Eclipse' is a dark red colour that is buildable. It can be applied sheerly and blotted to create a brighter red look, but it can also be layered to create a darker red, which I prefer. It also dries to a slightly less glossy finish and leaves a nice stain on the lips when it rubs off. 



Finally: MUA in Shade 2

This lipstick was only £1 in Superdrug, which is such an amazing bargain! I have tried a few of the MUA lipsticks now (blog post soon) and really love them. They are extremely creamy and smooth and glide on like a dream. The colour pay off is also great, and I think for only £1, you can't really go wrong. This shade is a light pinky purple plum colour with a highly glossy finish. This colour is the perfect plum for summer if you are looking for something purple that is not too in your face. It would be a lovely every day plum colour and I can't wait to wear it more! 

I think I applied this weirdly, my lips can't be that wonky.. fail


Thanks for reading, hope this was helpful! xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment